I am copying and pasting the latest email from Bruce over at Vino's in Sellwood. His line-up this past friday was fantastic (sorry to post this too late) and he is spot on regarding the need for Oregon wineries to get with the pricing program. Enjoy!
I don't want to beat a dead horse about how the Oregon wine industry seems to have been hit right between the eyes by the current economic conditions. Better to just wipe that smug I've-been-telling-you-so smile off my face and simply pour some wine for you this Friday that either have always been a reasonable deal, or have recently been dropped in price to where they can be called reasonable. The silver lining for the deserving consumer is the wide range of vintages available since everyone has put over-priced Oregon pinots on "ignore" for the past 18 months. We'll be showing off a range of 2006, 2007, and 2008 pinots. Oh, and don't believe everything you may have heard about the '07 pinots. There are some absolutely delicious, classic pinots from that year that are just now starting to show their stuff. You'll see what I mean tomorrow. The following are all bottles that would consider outstanding values. I'm particularly enamored right now by the #5 wine, the '07 Appolloni "Estate" which was a revelation when I retasted it a couple of weeks ago. This is local juice that I have no problem, getting with, so make your plans to check these out....
* 2006 CASH FLOW WINES Pinot Noir "Willamette Valley"
* 2008 BROOKS WINE Pinot Noir "Runaway Red"
* 2008 MCKINLAY VINEYARDS Pinot noir "Willamette Valley"
* 2007 LEMELSON VINEYARDS Pinot Noir "Six Vineyards"...ever seen a Lemelson pinot under $35 a pop? Neither had I. Then suddenly this mysterious blend appears. Me thinks there is some re-labeled unsold single vineyard '07 pinots enclosed within!
* 2007 APPOLLONI VINEYARDS Pinot Noir "Estate"...was $28, now $21. 'Nuff said!
Then of course there is more noir worth having....
* 2007 CROWLEY WINES Pinot Noir "Entre Nous"...was $27, still $27 and TOTALLY worth every penny!
* 2007 WESTREY WINE COMPANY Pinot Noir "Abbey Ridge"...fabulous pinot from one of Oregon's best...maybe the best...vineyards. Was $35.95, now $29.95!
* 2007 GROCHAU CELLARS Pinot Noir "Cuvée des Amis"...one of my favorite wines of the vintage. Beautiful pinot, a true classic. Was $36.95, now $30.95!
That should give you something to get excited by this weekend. Take a break from all the fine weather ahead (and no, we won't have the backyard open. It takes a few more nice days to dry everything out) and drink locally and maybe pick up a bottle or two to go with all the produce you'll get at the opening of the PDX Farmer's Market this Saturday. The cost for our pinot fest is just $10 for the first five, with a nominal charge for your bonus pleasure. All are welcome, and you can drop in anytime between 4:30-8:00!
### SATURDAY SAMPLING ###
We'll be slurping plenty of VINO E-Specials this Saturday at VINO during our FREE tasting from 11-6. It's time to put my words to the test (I'm not worried, BTW) with the following VINO bargains...
* 2007 CORVIDAE WINE CO. Cab-Merlot-Syrah "Rook"
* 2006 SALADINI PILASTRI Rosso Piceno 'Montetinello"
* 2008 VENTA MORALES Tempranillo
* 2009 DOMAINE SORIN Rosé de Provence "Terra Amata"
1226 SE Lexington
Portland, Or 97202
twitter: follow at http://twitter.com/wineguyworld