Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bad Bad Blogger

Ugh! Where have the last few weeks gone? I have been all too consumed in the wellness part of my life, and neglecting the wine part-a big NO NO in my book.

Not that I haven't enjoyed some fine wines as of late, I have but...let me rewind.

I realize I never recapped our OR vs CA vs Burgundy Pinot tasting. The long and short...the CA version (these were all 06's) had a very smoky nose and tastes much more like a hot grape wine than a Pinot, not bad, not great. The Burgundian wine, honestly...I don't even remember any good or bad qualities, it was drinkable for sure. The Belle Pente Oregon Pinot tasted like home to me. There is something so familiar with the smell of a nice Oregon Pinot that has had some time to sit. This was smooth, balanced and too easy to drink. Not to sound biased, but the Belle Pente was the show stopper, we all agreed. Sally, Jeff, Hervé and I-the big time wine panel.

Some other wine notes...in no particular order:

* While in Florida we tried the Ménage åT rois Rosé to much delight. This really does taste like a slice of Provence in my book. Dry, crisp and rosey in color. Definitely a good buy for summer.

* While eating at Sungari DragonWell in Portland I tried the Bethel Height Pinot Gris....PERFECT with Asian fusion!

*Irving Street Kitchen, a new spot in downtown Portland is serving wines on tap. Interesting concept indeed. I drank my fair share of Stoller's Pinot the other night and literally got all giddy when I had my first sip. If you've followed this blog, you know, I just dig the Stoller style.

* FINALLY hit Thistle in McMinnville. Cute concept, great bathroom, and decent food. I know some big food writer from the NYT would probably disagree, but I just have to say...for the price you pay, the portions are small. The steak was fabulous, but the gnocchi was not. Glad I tried, won't be running back. La Rambla down the block would be my first choice for a repeat visit.

Stay tuned, some fun wine events on the docket...including something at Wine by Joe called WineBarre, can you guess what this entails?!

1 comment: